December's Book is Masters of War by Chris Ryan... no really it is

Sunday, 15 December 2013

Reading List Suggestions for 2014

Lots of discussion and debate last night (not to mention the Stilton!). These are my suggestions:

The Story of Edgar Sawtelle - David Wroblewski (Hamlet reworking)

4 comments:

  1. A fine evening of entertainment. i particularly enjoyed engaging with the local fauna. To the above list I will add:

    World War Z by Max Brooks (a favourite of Mark and I for the January read)

    May We Be Forgiven by AM Homes

    And... Where is John Albiston? a short novella by Martin Amis.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah I reckon World War Z as at least two or three people mentioned it and they did film bits of it in Glasgow afterall.

    I also suggest:

    Slow Man - Coetze

    An Appetite For Wonder - Richard Dawkins

    A Confederacy of Dunces - John Kennedy Toole

    The Ragged-Trousered Philanthropists - Robert Tressell

    The Music of Chance - Paul Auster

    Ender's Game - Orson Scott Card

    Gormenghast - Mervyn Peake (John also mentioned this a while ago)

    I also like the idea of AM Homes too. And her books.

    ReplyDelete
  3. All the above suggestions sound good. I'd love to read Gormenghast again (last time c30yrs ago...)but it is the 2nd in the trilogy and I seem to remember you did have to read them in order & that book 3 was a totally different style & was awful. Also his wife has just published volume 4 in 2013 and I think- didn't see any reviews though.
    As mentioned on FB by chance I came across 'A Confederacy of Dunces' too and it looks good. I am working on other suggestions...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Some suggestions:

    Asunder, by Chlose Aridjis
    There But For The, by Ali Smith
    And the Land Lay Still, by James Robertson (apparently excellent and the pristine hardback copy on my shelf is as yet unread)

    Merry festives, everyone!

    ReplyDelete