December's Book is Masters of War by Chris Ryan... no really it is

Tuesday, 14 May 2013

Books, Books, Books, Books, Books





No one has dared to write up the last meeting. Or, as it will be henceforth known, THE INCIDENT AT MARTIN'S PLACE.

This is unfortunate. It struck me that a book about psychopaths by a Guardian journalist was the ideal title for a book group such as ours to consider at its monthly gathering. However, I personally didn't find the time or headspace to actually order it from Amazon, let alone read it, so I'm in no position to give a summary of what it was like or what anyone thought. So I will take a step back in the hope that someone more informed can step up to the plate and whack a home run (apologies for the baseball metaphor, but we did read Roth quite recently...).

As to the next meet up: this will be at Arabella's. No, not a high class nightclub in Mayfair frequented by younger Royals and ageing TV stars. Arabella's in Hillhead. A vast, gothic mansion full of ghosts and bottles of turpentine. It will be fascinating to see it first hand, there have been so many stories. So many legends. Rooms full of books. Corridors filled with rooms full of books. Small furry animals dying under piles of books. I suggest we all bring a flask of hot tea with us, just in case we get lost.

The book? It is, as you very well know, THE HARE WITH THE AMBER EYES. My copy is in my bag. Where's yours?

PS. I have a pile of books. And I'm looking for thriller readers to help me with a future column. Anyone fancy a free paperback etc?



3 comments:

  1. The Blog! I've missed this.

    Yes, I will take a paperback thriller. I can't remember much about THE INCIDENT AT MARTIN'S but - whisper it - I think Rohypnol was involved...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I've missed the blog too! I could have a stab (ahem) at writing up the psychopath test big night out...

      Thomas, you can add me too please to the list of accomplices for that crime spree you've got planned there.

      Delete
    2. Absolutely. Murder, blood, conspiracy and the treachery of a one time friend all coming at ya

      Delete