December's Book is Masters of War by Chris Ryan... no really it is
Sunday, 11 March 2012
True Grit
With a certain social media website constantly changing their own rules when it comes to group pages -- yes, Facebook, I'm looking at YOU -- it seems appropriate to try another means of mass communication.
Few know this but blogs were first invented in ancient China. Confucious wrote the first blog, carving out his thoughts on that morning's breakfast on a piece of bark which he then carried around Beijing on his back. Later, in the 19th century, authors such as Charles Dickens and Wilkie Collins, revived the concept, but used paper and printing presses. Thin pamphlets were produced and passed by hand from gentlefolk to gentlefolk. One such popular blog, written anonymously but thought to be the work of a young Joseph Conrad, consisted entirely of commentary on east London pie shops. In truth, while they had a certain following among the cognoscenti, they never really caught on with the hoi polloi. They only reached a wider audience with the coming of the computer age.
According to my copy of Blogging for Dummies, a blog will allow an informal yet close knit group such as the My Best Friend is Martin Amis to post on such subjects as the books we are reading, books we hope one day to read, and books we wished we'd never heard of. We will also be able to post photos and links... indeed, all the things that Facebook lets us do, but - hopefully - without the irritating friend suggestions and with the inclusion of such social media refuseniks as George and Lisa (assuming they have a computer).
I'll send you details of how to contribute posts to the blog just as soon as I figure out a way. In the meantime please feel free to post your comments below and berate me in any way you feel reasonable.
Also... a reminder:
Next meeting is March 21, 8pm, to discuss True Grit. The venue is most likely the Chip. Western clothing is encouraged but not expected.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I see I can comment but not post. Please may we have our picture of Hitch back?
ReplyDeletehe's there!..... you can't post? ... grrr.... go to blogger.com ?
ReplyDeleteYay! Pleased to have the picture back!
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteIs it true that George doesn't have a computer but responds instead to a powerful searchlight projecting a masonic symbol onto overhead cloudcover like 'Bat Signal'?
ReplyDeleteWhat a brilliant blog, well done Thomas! I have borrowed someone else's computer to write this, I actually feel quite 21st Century for a change!
ReplyDeleteIf it's just Western clothing at the next book club meeting does that mean I can't wear my burka?
George likes to receive letters... in the post.
ReplyDeleteFeel free to wear a burka, Lisa, and a stetson.
Hullo Blog/Thomas/technological ether - I heard tell that the next book club meeting might be moving to Tuesday 20th, is this just one of those urban myths?
ReplyDeleteIt is looking like the 20th. i was waiting for George to confirm. He said it was likely but was getting back to me.
ReplyDeleteFeel free to post
So, has George's carrier pigeon reached the book club HQ yet? Are we to meet tonight?
ReplyDeleteyes Lisa, tonight is the night. pack your six gun. see you at the chip
ReplyDeleteyes, pack your six gun, we are on for tonight
ReplyDeleteGreat, thanks Thomas see you in the saloon.
ReplyDelete