Clearly we all just read far far too much. Of the (magnificent) seven who came, just one had failed to read the book. To the surprise of everyone, that one was not Thomas 'Poor Excuses' Quinn but Cathy 'Jugglin' Them Chillen' Norton.
What happened was this. We took them early in the morning. Their horses were lame. Their jokes were lamer. We had the upper hand. We had a magician. He completely fooled them with a trick involving a rattle snake and a spinning coin. Or it might have been a rattling coin and a spinning snake. Nobody was quite sure.
Personally, I thought True Grit was an excellent novel. I don't think beans were mentioned more than once. And well worth re reading, Arabella, should you manage to find a spare hour or two between running the Best Damned Dental Surgery In The West.
I really liked the narrator. She was full of purpose and you were never in any doubt what kind of person she was. I loved how she would fill in the narrative with tangents. I really thought it did what a good novel should always do. It gave a fresh perspective on a world we thought we knew. In this case: the lawless west. Plus, I never even imagined Indians might have owned slaves. The thought never occurred. I feel I need to research this more.
Mark, the book I mentioned was Lonesome Dove by Larry McMurtry. I have never read it but I had a friend once who did. He loved it. The fact we are no longer friends is neither here nor there. I never slept with his sister or stole his horse. Click on the coloured bit to find the wiki entry. Lonesome Dove was written in 1985 and was turned into a TV miniseries which featured none other than Robert Duvall, but only because John Wayne refused to be in the movie. Both the TV series and the book are available via Amazon and other book retailers. Be warned, it is 960 pages long. But at just £6.79 for the paperback I'd say that represents excellent value. Yeehaw.


Brilliant Thomas, well done. :o)
ReplyDeleteArabella says she can't make Wed 25th. I've asked if she can make the 24th/26th but I don't think she's come off the nitrous oxide yet...
Next month's book is "Saturday Night & Sunday Morning" by Alan Sillitoe (and not the prequel which I recommended to Arabella "Friday Night & Satrurday Morning")
Yes 24th would be great as am in Manchester for a conference on 26th. The prequel sounds excellent.
DeleteJohn, do you have scraping for ortolans yet?
Scraping? Damn you autocorrect! I meant craving! (I can lend you a hood to hide your shame from god)
DeleteI preferred "scraping for ortolans"- it has a ring to it! No the crunching of bones in my mouth makes me squeamish. Classic Mitterand story though!
DeleteOr indeed the sequel, Sunday Evening & Back To Work Monday...
ReplyDeleteI quite liked the Omnibus edition: All Last Weekend...
DeleteArabella can do the Tuesday 25th- can you? I'll text Lisa, Cathy & Martin. Can you release a carrier pigeon for George & send Mark a telepathic message?
sorry Tuesday 24th that should have read- doh!
Deleteok, i have put it in a line at the top of the blog...
DeleteVery good. Tuesday 25th should be fine with me. I never plan four weeks in advance for anything other than the book group.
ReplyDeleteI will contact George by building a large fire and by sending him smoke signals. Mark already knows.
Is this working?
ReplyDeleteOh, cool! It is.
ReplyDeleteThat was a great summary of the evening. I can see why Thomas is a proper writer, the way he writ it.
Thanks for the tip on the western novel, I am sure I will get it and read it before the year is out.